Be a Scribe
Why be a Scribe?
Scribes are an integral part of transforming the standard of care in our nation today. Students who are interested in a career in a health-related field benefit the most from working as a scribe. Not only do we offer focused training on how to operate in a fast paced and exciting work environment, scribes work along side physcians throughout the course of their shift, gaining invaluable clinical experience. Helix Scribes who successfully complete a tour with us leave with a letter of recommendation from a team of Physicians, a firm grasp of medical terminology, understanding of medical procedures and are experts in properly documenting patient care via the electronic medical record.
Requirements to be a Scribe
We are looking for self-motivated individuals committed to serving 18 months as a scribe. All students interested in being a Helix Scribe must:
- Be a college sophomore, junior or senior enrolled in, or interested in a healthcare professional career, or an individual who has recently obtained a college degree in a health or science related field. Exceptions will be made for individuals with compelling backgrounds.
- GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Possess the ability to type a minimum of approximately 65 words per minute.
- Commit to the position for a minimum of 18 months, or a total of 850 hours.
- Commit to working two approximately eight hour shifts per week. (16 hours total)
- Be able to work in a fast paced and stressful environment.
- Have a working knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Be able to arrive a various health settings as needed.
- Be able to left and carry up to 15lbs.
As a valued partner in providing excellent medical care, we have high expectations of our team members. Scribes are expected to have enough time available in their schedule to work two shifts per week at various times throughout the week. Our primary area of service is the Emergency Department and since it never closes, we need to be able to assist providers when they are working, which is always. We also expect that our team members to be able to transport themselves to their assigned location and to understand that those locations may change over time.
The Helix Scribe Academy at GVSU
Helix, in partnership with Grand Valley State University, has designed an online Scribe Academy that prepares students to operate in various health settings. The Academy consists of classroom and clinical training. Applicants must pass a written test, a medical terminology test and have an interview with the Director of the Scribe Academy. If selected, applicants attend forty hours of online classroom training and if successful in the classroom, pass into another forty hours of clinical training.
Click here to find out more about The Helix Scribe Academy at GVSU.
How to Apply
This is the easy part! If you are ready to join the exciting world of medicine and jumpstart your medical career all you have to do is click here to get started. Once you have passed all the admissions criteria, you will be placed into the next available Scribe Academy in your area.
Steps to Becoming a Scribe
Step One: Are you ready?
- Check to see if you meet the requirements
- Be sure you are able and willing to commit to a minimum of 18 months of work
- Be sure your schedule can accomodate 16 hours a week for scribing
- Check to see if there is an active location near you
Step Two: Apply online to the Helix Scribe Academy
- Complete the online application
- Complete the entrance exam
- Complete the entrance interview
Step Three: Pass Outside Screening
- Successfully pass a drug test
- Complete a clean background check
Step Four: Attend and complete Helix Scribe Academy
- Successfully pass the classroom training with an 80% score or above
- Successfully pass the clinical training (pass/fail)
Step Five: Complete the Paperwork
- Fill out the required paperwork and get on the schedule